UWE STENGEL - The Official Profile
* Born in Dresden (Germany) on January 23rd 1940
* Son of German Aviation Pioneer, Double Olympian (Amsterdam 1928 / Berlin 1936) and WW2 Flying Ace 'Walter Stengel'and 'Johanna Stengel'(Phys.Ed. Instructor)
* Primary and Secondary Education in Karlsruhe (Germany)
* Studied Music at the 'Hochschule fuer Musik' in Karlsruhe (Germany) and at the 'Conservatoire de Musique' in Paris (France) in 1958-59 and 1962-1965 for a total of 5 years.
* German equivalent of 'Bachelor of Music' (B.A. Mus.)
* Performance (Flute) with K.T. Dilloo and Severino Gazzelloni
* Composition and Orchestration with Olivier Messiaen
* Studies included School Music (Carl Orff Schulwerk) and Music Education
* In 1965 Uwe Stengel was awarded a Scholarship by the Academy of Music Karlsruhe/Germany to do Contemporary Music Studies and Master Classes in Darmstadt (Germany) with the great European Masters Pierre Boulez, Bruno Maderna and Gyorgy Ligety
* Guest-member (Flute) of the Baden-Baden Symphony Orchestra (Kur-Orchester) in Germany (Summer season 1965)
* Freelancing in Europe and Australia for several years as a Performer, Professional Musical Arranger, Studio Musician, Stage-music and Jingles Writer.
* Musical Director at the Wrestpoint Casino in Hobart (Tasmania) in 1974
* Founder and Leader of the internationally acclaimed 11-piece Jazz Fusion Group 'MANTECA' (1973-1983). Recorded and released two self-titled albums for the 6WF (ABC) label.
* Winner of the inaugural Western Australian 'MASTERS OF MUSIC AWARD' in 1980
* Recorded and filmed the national ABC-TV Series 'Manteca in Concert' (10 episodes) produced by Ian Parmenter in 1981/82.
* AN INFLUENTIAL CAREER IN JAZZ EDUCATION (SPANNING 25 YEARS) followed.
* In 1983 Uwe hosted a weekly Radio Music Program on 6NR called 'Fusion Music with Uwe Stengel'.
* Performed and recorded works, written for 10-Piece Jazz Ensemble and Orchestra (including the 'Premiere of Ulysses, a major work, composed and arranged by Bruce Johnson), with the WA Symphony Orchestra (WASO) at the 'Perth Concert Hall' under the direction of Conductor David Measham, televised nationally on ABC-TV.
* President of MAGA (Music Arrangers Guild of Australia) for six years from July 1978 to July 1984
* During his MAGA Presidency Uwe Stengel instigated and designed a 10 week basic 'Jazz Arranging Course' for arrangers and orchestrators, to be taught as an extension course at the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts (WAAPA) - starting on the 14th of June 1982 (over 40 students applied). - It was on this basis that led to the permanent establishment of an Arranging Course and later Jazz Studies (Performance) which, under the auspices of Pat Crichton, developed into Australia's leading and internationally recognized, accredited 'Jazz-Studies Course' (see article in the National MAGA Journal - 'MagaScene' - (1984) 'History of MAGA'
* Member of the Advisory Committee to the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts (WAAPA) from 1985 to 1993 (then resigned from his duties, due to over-commitment and health reasons)
* Between 1986 and 1992 Uwe Stengel has written :
a) Comprehensive Music Curriculum Guides for instrumental music in schools
b) Comprehensive Music Theory Course from Yr 5 through to Yr 12
c) Registered Alternative 'TEE' Music Curriculum Guides for Yr11 and Yr 12, which have since been implemented state-wide as 'MUSIC IN SOCIETY', in both: Government and Private School Systems.
* Introduced Instrumental Music at CBC Fremantle in 1982 and started the first exclusive 'SCHOOL JAZZ EDUCATION PROGRAM' in Western Australia. Today there are over 40 High School Jazz Bands in the Perth metropolitan area alone. Uwe Stengel has been 'Director of Music' at CBC, until he stood himself down from the 'Head of Department' position in 1995, because of over-commitment in too many areas.
* With the CBC Jazz Orchestra Uwe Stengel has won numerous Music Awards for the College, including the prestigeous 'STAR SEARCH 2000 AWARD' (see the large CBC Music Honor Board in the 'Edmund Hall').
* In 2001 Uwe founded the Fremantle Jazz Orchestra (FJO, a Big Band comprised of some of his former students) and registered it as a 'non-profit' Organisation. One CD to this date - "FJO live at the Pagoda" -
* In 2002 Uwe Stengel was nominated and short-listed for the 'NATIONAL EXCELLENCE IN TEACHING AWARD' 2002/03
* Uwe was forced to retire from active Teaching (18 months premature) on the 20 of June 2005 due to severe progressive Deafness.
* Today, despite his deafness, he is working on his own performance skills (mainly Flute and Sax) and is writing arrangements across several Musical Genres, ranging from Classical to Fusion, Latin and Contemporary Jazz.
* On Monday, December 21st 2009, the night of the PJS Annual Music Awards, UWE STENGEL was presented with the Award for 'MOST OUTSTANDING INDIVIDUAL CONTRIBUTION TO JAZZ' (a Lifetime Achievement Award) by the Perth Jazz Society at the Charles Hotel in Perth, Western Australia.
* On Tuesday, May 26th 2010, he officially re-formed the Jazz Fusion Band 'MANTECA' with a new 'All-Star' line-up, which was launched at the Perth Jazz Society HeadQuarters (Charles Hotel) on Monday 15th November 2010, followed by their first public performance at the ELLINGTON JAZZ CLUB in Perth on December 16th 2010 (both events were SOLD-OUT)